Boston MedFlight is a Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Services (CAMTS) accredited critical care transport service and the only dedicated, licensed, adult, ground critical care transport provider in the region.
- American Eurocopter 2013 Vision Zero Safety Aviation Award
- Association of Air Medical Services (AAMS) 2013 Ground Transport Program of the Year
- Association of Air Medical Services (AAMS) 2004 Program of the Year
Patient Care Capabilities
It is difficult to describe specifically the clinical capabilities of the Boston MedFlight transport teams, because every patient and every case is unique. We transport adult, pediatric, and neonatal patients with a very diverse range of diagnoses, including medical, trauma, neurological, respiratory, cardiac, and obstetrical concerns. When Boston MedFlight is part of your care team, no matter what the circumstance, you can be assured that we bring you, your family members, your institution, your team, or your public safety agency exactly what you need the most: excellence and expertise in critical care and in the safe transport of critically ill patients.
Our teams embody our value of quality as continuous learners. Drawing on the expertise of our Medical Director and Associate Medical Directors, the foundation of our clinical quality program is an advanced provider review of each MedFlight case and twice-monthly physician-led case reviews that highlight clinical excellence, interesting cases, and opportunities for improvement. Our internal education program also includes the resources of our simulation center, our six consortium hospitals, and collaborations with partner hospitals in the community.
Building on that initial program, our teams embody our value of quality as continuous learners. Drawing on the expertise of our Medical Director and Associate Medical Directors, our simulation center, our education department, and the resources of our six consortium hospitals, our teams stay current in transport, emergency medicine, and critical care medicine through structured programs and case reviews.
We are particularly fortunate to have access to the expertise of our consortium hospitals and our partner hospitals in the community. In particular, those facilities offer us access to onsite clinical education that includes:
- Adult critical care units
- Adult respiratory therapy
- Burn/trauma intensive care unit
- Emergency medicine
- High risk obstetrics
- Interventional cardiology/cardiac cath lab
- Interventional radiology
- Labor and delivery
- Neonatal critical care unit
- Pediatric critical care unit
- Pediatric respiratory therapy
We provide high-quality, critical care to patients from the moment we arrive at the bedside. The heart of the team are our excellent clinicians, but we pay great attention to ensuring that they have the best available equipment to provide critical care outside of the hospital. Our helicopters, ambulances, and airplane have identical medical equipment, including:
- Airway management equipment, including video and surgical airway devices
- Critical care monitor with invasive monitoring, capnography, and external pacing capabilities
- Full function invasive and noninvasive ventilator
- Helium/oxygen (Heliox) delivery
- Intra-aortic balloon pump
- Programmable pumps for up to six continuous infusions
- Transport isolette and ventilator
- Transvenous pacemaker
We are also proficient in managing some specialty medical devices and patients that we do not carry ourselves, but transport from the sending hospital, including:
- Extra-corporeal membrane oxygenators (ECMO)
- Nitric oxide ventilation
- Ventricular assist devices